Saturday, July 15, 2006

Digital Natives and Digital Immigrants


I am just reading a book "Don't bother me Mom - I'm learning" by Marc Prensky. Not a book that I would normally read - one of my husband's sitting on the coffee table ... but once I got started I was hooked by its easy conversational prose.

It is about this new digital generation of students (the digital natives) and how interactive learning in video games or on the net is now their preferred way of learning - it is complex, multi-tasking, fast paced - and in comparison normal learning delivered by us teachers (the digital immigrants) is BORING and unchallenging.

How do you know if you are a digital immigrant? Do this checklist... and see how thick your accent is... (Marc's term)

  • Printing out your email (getting your secretary to print it out is worse.)
  • Turning to the internet for information second rather than first
  • Reading the manual for a program rather than assuming the program will teach you how to use it.
  • Needing to print out a document written on a computer to edit it, rather than editting it on the screen.
  • Thinking that real life happens only off line!

Hmmm. I didn't do too well. I remember suggesting to a journalism student to print out her article so the sub-editor could read it. She just looked at me as if I had said something stupid. Yes, even though students might be sitting in the same room they have a chat link going with each other, sending stories and pictures via email and then letting the other person know by chat that it has been sent. The story is editted and sent back with no verbal conversation taking place.

I remember asking the editor to help another student once and nothing happened. He was sitting in his seat and the other student in theirs. I said "Come on Bo - Rowan really needs your help." Rowan then says, all done, all fixed. I was astonished - it was all done over chat. Yes, it is hard feeling like a dinasaur. I need to start learning this new language.

Marc Prensky says there becomes a problem when "digital immigrants" are teaching "digital natives" - the thick accent gets in the way of learning. The natives are used to receiving information more quickly than immigrants are able to dispense it, they prefer to be networked rather than working alone, prefer graphics before text, and prefer to pull random things together for themselves rather than it be ordered. They also thrive on instant gratification and rewards (moving to a new level).

Well at least we have a system of high fives and little dances when people post a new blog story... and the immediate feedback from the reader counter going up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home